Thursday, June 16, 2005

5 Favourite Books Meme

I've been tagged by legal cook Lyn of Lex Culinaria, who also posted an explanation of what a meme (this link does not work anymore) is. Thanks Lyn and I hope you don't mind that I piggyback on your explanation.

1. Total number of (cook/food) books I’ve owned:
Probably around 70. I left several cookbooks in Portugal and some others in Angola that are now out of print. I miss them.

2. Last (cook/food) book(s) I bought:
"Manual de Cozinha" (Kitchen Manual) by Carlos Bento da Maia (in Portuguese). This is an actualized 4th edition, the first having been printed in 1903. It even teaches how to slaughter your poultry the right way and what needs to be done before you cook it.

3. Last (cook/food) book I read:
I'm perusing the one above.

4. Five (cook) books that mean a lot to me:
Classic Cooking Step by Step, by Moyra Frazer: This is one of the first cookbooks I bought when I arrived in Canada. I wanted to learn to cook "Canadian". Trully a learn through pictures book. You cannot go wrong with it and everything I tried from here has come out right.

Five Roses Guide to Good Cooking: I just bought the 21st edition of this book. I had one before, don't know which edition. I was 16 years old and, at the time, staying with my grandparents at the ranch, in Mozambique. Although Mozambique was a Portuguese colony, somehow my grandparents had a bag of 5 Roses Flour. In the back there was a cupon offering to send a recipe book if you filled in your name and address and mailed it to the manufacturer. Well, to me the idea of having an "American" recipe book sounded exotic. So I mailed the cupon not really believing the 5 Roses Company would pay any attention to me. Lo and behold, about 2 or 3 months later I got the cookbook. Made many cake recipes from it and carried that book with me for years. Unfurtunately it stayed behind in Angola when I left.

The How-To Book of Healthy Cooking: This is a Reader's Digest book with excellent recipes. My younger kid learned how to cook with this book.

Tele-Culinaria: This was a thin magazine that was published every week by a Portuguese Chef that also had a television program, hence the name. At the end of the year you could order the hardcover, index, etc., and had the magazines professionaly bound. This book has been a life-saver in Canada because it has many recipes of foods that are so widely available in Portugal that nobody thinks of making them at home. Something like Beaver Tails in Canada. Usually you can purchase them everywhere so you never think of making them. Since I've been here, this book has helped me maintain the Portuguese cooking traditions that I remember from my youth and wanted to give my sons.

The Fannie Farmer Cookbook: My favourite cooking reference book.

5. Which 5 people would you most like to see fill this out in their blog?
Provided they've not been already tapped:

Dreska: Little Fancies,
Daphne: Edible Tulip,
Jennifer: Roast Chicken Reasoning, (blog has moved or been deleted)
Liz: Truffle Mutt,
Tarzile: Tarzile.com

5 comments:

eat stuff said...

It is fun seeing how this progresses from you :)

Ana said...

Thanks Clare. I enjoyed doing it.

Anonymous said...

Ana

Merci beaucoup. Je prépare ma réponse aujourd'hui. Si je comprends le principe, c'est une sorte de tag virtuelle. J'ai aimé lire ta réponse. je prépare la mienne aujourd'hui.

Raindrops keep falling on my head (tou tou tou tou...)

Tarzile

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tag Ana! I'll be sure to post my answers over the weekend.

Liz

Anonymous said...

Chère Ana

Je ne suis pas étonnée de lire que tu as beaucoup de plaisir à lire "Manual de Cozinha" (Kitchen Manual) by Carlos Bento da Maia (in Portuguese).

Je déclarerais même que j'ignorais ce que goûtait un vrai poulet avant d'avoir la chance d'en déguster au Portugal. Le poulet du Portugal est le meilleur poulet au monde. Alors, ce chef qui traite de l'art d'apprêter ce volatile doit être passionnant.

Tarzile